Well I’ve decided to make my own engine/framework, choosing DirectX for visuals and DirectSound for audio. I understand this limits the current implementation of the framework to Windows only. I take this path because of future plans in 2011 with this framework. Beside, if I do find the need to port my “OctNovDec” project to other platforms, the framework does encapsulate all details; FileIO, Input, Audio, Visual, and Timing.
So after getting my framework up and running on an extremely basic level, with a lot of fun whoop-de-doos, I have a splash screen. Something I said I could do in “10 minutes” ended up taking “40 minutes” because I also made a simple sprite class. My time estimations seem to lack truth… Here is the splash screen, at least in concept.
With that I do need to change my logo. “Presents” must be removed or replaced; I’ve thought of Studios, but it is just me. I’ve thought of Games but that could be limiting – even if it is what I am focused on at these times. I could leave it just BlackBird, but I’m not sure. In any case, when I have a Main Menu, this will fade nicely into it. So, this is what I achieved as of last night, October 1st.
Today I’ve got some simple sprite based font system working, a finite-state machine for different Game States, and now progressing to work on the editor. May come back to edit. Yay for my first actual post!